"No, not an oath. If not the face of men, the sufferance of our souls, the time's abuse. If these be motives weak, break off betimes. And hence every man to his idle bed" - Shakespeare, Willaim (Julius Caesar)
"You always tell the truth"
"Always. I say it as I see it"
"Why?"
"To patronize others... though that's only a half truth. The whole truth is that I cannot lie. My expressions give it away. When I say something that I do not believe, it shows and I cannot hide it. The words I speak may be lies, but I still end up conveying what is true. Be it the words, or the expression that betrays the words."
Silence. The whetherman had not opened up like this before, so naturally he was at a loss of words. Dmitri, on the other hand, was assessing himself. How good a lier was he?
"Very good" Dmitri, thinking aloud.
"What?"
"The food" said Dmitri, proving his aptitude as a liar to himself again. "But tell me, do you see that man over there? The one in the hat."
"Yes, what about him? Do you know him?"
"I will answer your second question first; yes and no. And in response to your first, I have a favour to ask of you."
"What's in it for me?"
"After you have done what I have asked of you, you will get your freedom from this slavery of honest words..."
"But what if I don't want that freedom?"
"You want it, your face says so. Do you know what else it says? It says that you've been held back in your professional life because of this slavery. Your words may be honest, but they must be complimented with honest actions. And let's just say that there's no parity between the two of them." Dmitri arched forward, restricting the whetherman's vision"You dropped out of college before you got kicked out of college. Because you cheated, and all you had to do was to deny that you did. But you couldn't, and so you left. Hence, by doing me a favour, you will be doing yourself a favour."
The whetherman was on the verge of tears. He had spoken true all his life. And all his life he had been running away from one too, the truth that Dmitri had so simply put to him; honesty is not the best policy. For you may speak true, but not act it. Or vice versa. Eitherway, you've damned yourself. Dmitri continued:
"I'll take your silence for an acquiesce. Now, that man over there thinks he's my friend. He is not, and he gets on my nerves. I will introduce you to him, and you will try to stir discord between us when I have left town in two days time. You will do that by telling him the truth about him."
"But I don't understand..."
"I'm not asking you to lie. I can't list all the things I don't like about him. In fact, I hate almost everything about him. His whining, self-obsessiveness... it's a long list and a very annoying one, and one that you'll get acquainted with very soon. And when you do, you tell that him to his face... but from me of course. So you see, all of you have to do is tell the truth. One of them being that I hate him and the other being his nuisance."
"Why do I get the feeling that two truths make a lie? Why do you want me to do this?"
"They may or may not. And you don't have to know any reasons. You may do so, if you wish to be free"
"And you promise that I shall be free and be able to lie?"
"A promise? Why, it's up to you if you seize the chance that I present to you. There's no need for promises" - but to you Sylvester, my friend, I do promise that you will be free.
4 comments:
fasih... are you dmitri? :D
Is you madonna?
Haha!
Am I Dmitri? Possibly. I am possibly the whetherman too. And Sylvester.
A man is a composition of many conflicting personalities within him.
I could be any one or all of them together. And I'd rather not be just one.
fuss...
no man can wear one face to himself and another to the multitude without finally getting bewildered as to which one may be true - nathaniel hawthorne.
changed my life, this quote. came across it in the sopranos. :D
what you say is true... but there is a wild beast in man as mentioned in the literary works of bapsi sidhwa and peter maas, when they write about the brutalities of the partition and the bosnian genocide. There is evil, lies, honesty and innocence in every man. It is but a battle within.
So, even though man may keep one true face, it is still a battle likened to a two-headed serpent; with each head fighting for supremacy
Post a Comment